This classic veggie chowder is one of my favorites when I need some cheesy comfort. Serve with freshly baked sourdough bread and enjoy.
- tbsp butter, divided
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 c. or a 32 oz. box, low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-3/4 inch cubes
- 1 celery root, peeled and cut into ¼ inch cubes
- 2 medium heads broccoli, chopped into florets
- dash of dried thyme (to much thyme drowns the flavor of the cheese and veggies in my opinion. Start light and add more to taste)
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper (I like mine peppery so I might add a bit a more later)
- pinch paprika and cayenne pepper
- 6 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 c. milk (1%, 2% or whole)
- ½ c. half & half (non-fat, low-fat or regular)
- 2 c. shredded medium or sharp cheddar cheese (8 oz block)
- In a large pot over set over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of butter. When the butter has melted, add the carrots, celery and onion and saute for 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute for a minute longer (be sure not to burn the garlic). Stir in the chicken broth, potatoes, celery root, thyme, salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, cover, and allow to simmer for 15 minutes (or until the potatoes are almost tender). Stir in the broccoli and cook for 5-7 minutes longer or until veggies are tender.
- As the veggies simmer melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour, whisking constantly for about a minute. Slowly pour in the milk, whisking vigorously. Whisk until smooth. Constantly whisk as the mixture comes to a gentle boil or it will burn. When it begins to thicken add the half & half, remove from heat, and pour into the soup (after the veggies are fully cooked). Stir everything together and turn the heat off. Gradually add the cheddar, stirring until the soup is nice and smooth.
This is not my recipe, however I have tweaked it just a bit to my preferred taste. Cooking is all about finding recipes you love and making them your own. Your friends and family will absolutely be getting seconds and asking you to make this again! Enjoy my friends and happy cooking!